BEWARE OF BLOG

Wednesday 30 November 2011

episode 9: Mike's Credo

Over the last couple of years I have been interested in Canadian literature. Wether it be fiction or non, new books or old classics doesn't really matter, as long as the author is Canadian it fits the bill. Out of a stroke of chance (delayed flight) I had some spare time at YQQ and was able to browse the book rack outside the gift shop. There, after looking at every book in the smallish assortment was an epic classic of which I have never heard of. This book was a fiftieth anniversary edition, written and wholly based around the newly named Salish Sea. The same waters which I have spent my whole life around, fishing, working, admiring and as I write this from 1500 km away, longing for. Lovingly and beautifully created by author Muriel Wylie (Capi) Blanchet it is a chronicle of the summers spent touring the South Coastal waters of British Columbia in their pleasure craft the Caprice. A widow and her five children. This book is a window into the past beauty of this rugged, unforgiving land and has re-kindled a fire inside me to explore all it has to offer. This is a small excerpt from the book "The Curve of Time".
Mike's own Credo, as he called it, was simple. He had printed it in pencil on a piece of cardboard, and had it hanging on his wall. He had probably copied it word for word from some book--because it expressed for him how he had learned to think and live. I put it down exactly as he had it.
"Look well of today--for it is the Life of Life. In its brief course lie all the variations and realities of your life--the bliss of growth, the glory of action, the splendor of beauty. For yesterday is but a dream, and To-morrow a vision. But To-day well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness, and every To-morrow a vision of hope. For time is but a scene in the eternal drama. So, look well of today, and let that be your resolution as you awake each morning and salute the New Dawn. Each day is born by the recurring miracle of Dawn, and each night reveals the celestial harmony of the stars. Seek not death in error of your life, and pull not upon yourself destruction by the work of your hands."
So far I have only read maybe a third of this book, and as I read on I am sure to find a few more paragraphs which I may share on my blog. This is such a captivating read for me and I highly recommend this book to anyone that has an interest in Canadian culture and history. Mike's Credo really jumped out at me because this is also how I have learned to live my life, and am constantly learning more.

No comments:

Post a Comment